Man City line up Enzo Fernandez bid five days after missing Chelsea deadline
Manchester City intend to bid for Enzo Fernandez, talkSPORT understands.
It comes despite Enzo Maresca’s side missing the 5pm deadline on Friday set by Chelsea for offers to be made.

City sources believe the Blues are open to a sale despite their self-imposed cut-off point to place a £120million bid passing.
Chelsea are currently working on the premise that Fernandez will remain at the club beyond the end of the transfer window.
The midfielder has been training as usual this week ahead of their Premier League opener against Fulham on Monday.
However, those close to the 2022 World Cup winner say Fernandez is open to a move to the Etihad Stadium.
His preference had previously been to join Real Madrid this summer, only for the Spanish side to issue a statement revealing they did not plan to launch a bid.
It is understood that Chelsea received no offers for the 25-year-old from any potential suitors before their deadline passed.
talkSPORT also understands Roma star Manu Kone is also on City’s list of midfield targets.
What has Enzo Maresca said about Enzo Fernandez?
While a deal appeared to be dead in the water after City failed to meet their deadline, Maresca’s comments hours earlier suggest there could yet be another twist.
Speaking ahead of his side’s Community Shield clash with Arsenal on Sunday, the Italian appeared unfazed about Fernandez.
Maresca admitted on midday on Friday that City would not be making a move for the Chelsea star before 5pm that evening.


Asked about the cut-off point, Maresca said: “I don’t think we’re going to do something today.”
The City boss also said of Fernandez: “He is a player from another club.
“I don’t think it’s correct to talk about other players. I’m not going to say anything about players who are not with us.”
Having only ruled out any business for Fernandez on Friday, Maresca appeared to suggest that City would make further additions this summer, pointing out they have until transfer deadline day on September 1.
He added: “When the window is open, we can buy players and we can sell players.
“For sure there are things that we need to do, can be one can be two [new signings], it depends if they want to leave.”

Could Chelsea be playing a ‘game of poker?’
With Maresca remaining coy on City’s interest in Fernandez, talkSPORT’s Alex Crook and Gabby Agbonlahor both questioned if Chelsea will hold firm on their stance.
Crook suggested Maresca could be deliberately looking to test his former club’s resolve, having left Stamford Bridge in January after a breakdown in relations at the club.
Speaking on Friday’s talkSPORT, Crook said: “It’s a game of poker, isn’t it? Enzo Maresca’s playing the game there. I’m sure he delivered it with a glint in his eye.
“I’m suspicious of this hard deadline. That’s the information we’re getting out of Chelsea.
“If the £120m offer is not made in written format today by 5pm, then Enzo Fernandez won’t be going anywhere this summer.”
Agbonlahor also questioned Chelsea’s ultimatum over Fernandez, insisting City are well within their rights to try and sign him anytime before the transfer window closes.

He chimed in: “I don’t like the fact that you’re giving them an ultimatum today when there’s still over two weeks left of the transfer window.
“If I’m Manchester City, we’ll do it in our own time.”
A move for Fernandez was believed to hinge on Rodri leaving City to join Barcelona.
LaLiga giants Barca have completed the £65.3million signing of the Ballon d’Or winner.
Fernandez is among the Cityzens’ potential replacements and now faces an uncertain future in west London, after he previously fuelled rumours of his exit.
The Blues midfielder heavily hinted at a move to Real Madrid towards the end of last season, only for the Spanish giants to shut this down in a statement saying they have ‘no intention’ of signing him.
While Man City have an interest in Fernandez, talkSPORT’s Ben Jacobs recently suggested his £120m asking price could be an obstacle.
The Cityzens have so far signed Elliot Anderson for £116m, while they are now in advanced talks with Lille over Morocco midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi, for a fee expected to be in the region of £100m.
Jacobs claimed this could leave City reluctant to make another nine-digit transfer this summer.
What's Your Reaction?
Like
0
Dislike
0
Love
0
Funny
0
Angry
0
Sad
0
Wow
0