Ederson makes first public comments about failed Manchester United transfer

Aug 19, 2026 - 19:15
Ederson makes first public comments about failed Manchester United transfer

Ederson says he ‘doesn’t know’ why his move to Manchester United fell through earlier this summer.

The Brazil midfielder had looked set to join the Red Devils from Atalanta after the World Cup with United agreeing a deal worth around £39million with the Serie A club prior to the tournament.

Ederson looks on during Brazil's match against Norway
Ederson admits he ‘doesn’t know’ why his move to United fell through earlier this summer
Getty

A medical then took place once Brazil were knocked out in the last 16 stage.

However, the deal had collapsed after an issue was flagged during Ederson’s medical and United opted not to proceed with the signing.

Atalanta maintained that the 27-year-old was fully fit, though, before handing Ederson a new five-year deal.

His previous contract had been due to expire next summer, prompting United to launch their initial move.

Ederson on failed United move

Ederson has now spoken publicly for the first time on the failed transfer as he prepares to return to competitive action with Atalanta.

Speaking to Sky Sport Italia, he admitted: “I honestly don’t know what happened.

“I always had interest from other clubs, and I could’ve gone to another English side.

“The tests went well, I don’t know what changed. I’ve been with Atalanta for four years and always played.

“I could’ve just waited to see what happened, but the great rapport with the club convinced me to stay and sign a new contract.”

He also spoke to reporters during a press conference prior to Atalanta’s Conference League play-off tie against Hapoel Tel Aviv.

Ederson looks on during Atalanta's match against Athletic Bilbao
United pulled out of a deal for the Atalanta midfielder following his medical
Getty

Revealing the factos behind his decision to commit his future to the club, he said: “I am very happy to remain with Atalanta, I really thank the club and Luca Percassi (Atalanta CEO).

“They called me many times, I felt they were by my side, but even though I had interest from other clubs, after everything that happened, I thought it was best to stick with who really wanted me, and that was always Atalanta.

“I was happy to wear the jersey that has given me so much joy.”

As for the impact of the transfer saga, he added: “I had lovely moments going to the World Cup with Brazil, and then I still don’t know what happened to be honest, but the important thing is that I was able to deal with the situation, return with the right mentality and give my all to the club that gave me so much.

“I am still Ederson, everyone knows me here and what I can do, they know I will always give my all.”

Ederson joined Atalanta from Italian club Salernitana back in 2022 and has since scored 16 goals and added six assists in 180 appearances.

Ederson looks on during Brazil's match against Norway
Ederson has since signed a new five-year deal after returning to Atalanta following the World Cup
Getty

United’s midfield overhaul

Despite missing out on Ederson, Michael Carrick has already brought in two new midfielders this summer, following the departure of Casemiro to Inter Miami on a free transfer.

Andrey Santos and Youri Tielemans have since moved to Old Trafford from Chelsea and Aston Villa, respectively.

Meanwhile, Carlos Baleba could soon become United’s fourth signing of the summer.

talkSPORT understands the Brighton midfielder has already agreed personal terms over a move to the Red Devils.

United are now in advanced talks with the Seagulls after lodging a bid worth an initial £60million plus a further £5million in add-ons.

Carlos Baleba looks on during Cameroon's match against South Africa
United have agreed personal terms with Baleba ahead of a potential move from Brighton
Getty

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Angry Angry 0
Sad Sad 0
Wow Wow 0