Emotional NFL star breaks silence after heartbreaking family tragedy: ‘Continue praying for us’
Baltimore Ravens veteran Calais Campbell addressed his family tragedy for the first time publicly at practice Tuesday, and asked for continued support over a ‘tough’ situation.
In late June, police found Campbell’s 71-year-old mother dead at her home in Atlanta during a welfare check.

Her son, Ciarre, was charged with murder.
The Campbell family told police that Ciarre, 41, struggles with mental illness. He remains in custody at the Fulton County Jail in Georgia after his attorney withdrew his request for bond in late July.
Arrest warrants say Nateal Campbell’s throat was cut and Ciarre, the brother of Calais, was found in possession of a knife.
NFL veteran Campbell was excused from the first week of practices, and returned to Baltimore on August 3 ahead of what is likely to be his final season.
He will now ramp up his football activity, and told reporters the thought of stepping away amid family tragedy never crossed his mind.
Calais Campbell breaks silence on heartbreaking family tragedy
“I just wanted to say these last couple months have been pretty tough for me and my family,” Campbell said.
“But (I’ve) been working through it and I really appreciate all the love and support and the prayers that have been coming from all over, really from all the NFL community, all the fan bases.
“So I appreciate the prayers. Continue praying for us because we need it.”
After making his statement, Campbell said he wanted to answer questions relating to football, and was asked if he contemplated not playing this season.
“I love the game of football a lot… it brings me joy,” the 39-year-old responded.
“It was a little harder training, but as far as football goes, I love this game. And this is a very fun place for me to be.
“So playing football has been great for me.”
Campbell, who turns 40 on September 1, returned to the Ravens in May. He signed a one-year contract worth $5.5 million, with $4.75m guaranteed and a $2m signing bonus.
Ravens HC happy to have veteran Calais Campbell on roster
He previously played in Baltimore from 2020 to 2022, and it was with the team that he made his sixth Pro Bowl.

The Ravens have a different look heading into 2026, with first-year head coach Jesse Minter and a new coaching staff taking over from John Harbaugh, who departed after 18 years.
Campbell might be heading into his 19th season, but will still be a key part of any Ravens defense.
“Brings great versatility along the D-line, is an unbelievable leader and mentor in that room and in the defensive room and with the team,” new HC Minter said of Campbell, who has 117 career sacks in 278 NFL games.
“The timing of it obviously was really tough for him and his family.
“We allowed the first week or two of camp for him to really kind of work himself to get ready, as it affected his summer preparation, obviously.
“I’m really happy that we have him.”

Campbell could return to the fold for preseason games against the Minnesota Vikings and Washington Commanders in the coming weeks.
He will then hope to suit up when the Ravens take on the Indianapolis Colts on September 13 to begin their 2026 season.
What's Your Reaction?
Like
0
Dislike
0
Love
0
Funny
0
Angry
0
Sad
0
Wow
0