Desmond Bane makes bold claim about Magic’s chances in loaded Eastern Conference

Aug 21, 2026 - 17:15
Desmond Bane makes bold claim about Magic’s chances in loaded Eastern Conference

Orlando Magic guard Desmond Bane believes his team belongs among the contenders in a dramatically reshaped Eastern Conference heading into the 2026-27 season.

In a recent interview with Baker Machado of Front Office Sports, Bane assessed Orlando’s chances in a conference that now features LeBron James and Jaylen Brown with the Philadelphia 76ers and Giannis Antetokounmpo with the Miami Heat. Kawhi Leonard could also potentially return to the Toronto Raptors.

Despite the increased competition, Bane believes the Magic have enough talent to make a deep postseason run. He pointed to the team’s ability to buy into new head coach Sean Sweeney’s system as the biggest factor in determining how far Orlando can go.

“I think talent is not a problem for us. I think we have a good collection of players. It’s about coming together – collective buy-in to whatever it is coach Sweeney wants from us. I think that’s the ultimate key and if we have that and keep building and getting better throughout the season then anything’s possible. We’ve seen it over the course of the last few seasons like the Spurs last year was kind of a surprise team and made a run to the Finals. The year before, the Indiana Pacers. So nothing was like 10 years ago where you know LeBron’s going to be playing in the Finals every year against the Warriors. It’s a lot of parity in the league – there’s probably 10-11 teams in the East right now that feel like they have a chance to go make a run and we’re one of them.”

Bane’s confidence comes after Orlando finished 45-37 despite significant injury issues last season. The Magic earned the No. 8 seed and built a 3-1 first-round series lead over the 60-win Detroit Pistons before losing three consecutive games.

Horace Grant shares Desmond Bane’s confidence in Magic

Franz Wagner missed the final three games of that series after appearing in only 34 regular-season contests. Jalen Suggs was also limited to 57 games.

Bane is not alone in viewing Orlando as a legitimate threat in the East.

Former Magic forward and four-time NBA champion Horace Grant recently told Kyle Odegard of Casino.ca that he considers Orlando “one of the better teams in the East.” Grant pointed to Bane’s addition alongside Paolo Banchero, Franz Wagner, Wendell Carter Jr. and the rest of Orlando’s core as reasons for optimism.

Grant, however, identified health and chemistry as the biggest obstacles. He said the Magic need to develop greater trust on the court and avoid the injuries that have repeatedly disrupted their progress.

That assessment aligns with Bane’s emphasis on collective buy-in under Sweeney. The first-year Magic coach arrives after helping the San Antonio Spurs reach the NBA Finals last season, where they lost to the New York Knicks in five games.

Orlando now enters a pivotal season after three consecutive first-round playoff exits. With Bane joining Banchero, Wagner and Suggs and Sweeney taking over on the sideline, the Magic will attempt to turn their potential into a deeper postseason run.

The Magic open the 2026-27 season against the Atlanta Hawks on Oct. 21 at 7 p.m. ET.

The post Desmond Bane makes bold claim about Magic’s chances in loaded Eastern Conference appeared first on ClutchPoints.

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Angry Angry 0
Sad Sad 0
Wow Wow 0