3 surprise Commanders 2026 preseason roster cuts to watch out for before Week 1

Aug 18, 2026 - 18:00
3 surprise Commanders 2026 preseason roster cuts to watch out for before Week 1

The Washington Commanders likely won’t consider ChatGPT when they make their roster decisions. They’ve already made one key special teams move. But here are three surprise preseason Commanders roster cuts to watch before Week 1 of the 2026 NFL season.

Things have already gone astray this summer for the Commanders. Stud left tackle Laremy Tunsil is gone, possibly for the whole season. And starting cornerback Trey Amos has dealt with a lingering injury.

But the Commanders have to make the hard choices soon. And here are players on the edge.

RB Jeremy McNichols

First, it needs to be said that McNichols has value. He’s the type of guy who can stand on the sidelines, contribute on special teams, and still take over as a backup late in the season and produce reasonably well.

However, the Commanders need more than “reasonably well” on their roster. They need a player who can offer an explosive spark. Unfortunately for McNichols, Robert Henry Jr. looks like that guy.

McNichols is an eight-year veteran. And he’s very old for a running back at age 30. He’s near the end of his NFL career. Making matters worse, he’s dealing with an injury that keeps him from showing he can keep up with the young guys. head coach Dan Quinn said McNichols won’t be back right away, according to commanderswire.com.

“Jeremy will be out for a few weeks,” Quinn said. “He’s got a pretty good quad injury, so he will not be back in for this week. And you’ll see him off to the side, working some rehab, in that spot. But he’s got a pretty good quad injury that will take a few weeks for sure.”

Furthermore, look at what the rookies did in the preseason win over the Dolphins. Kaytron Allen gained 85 yards on 23 carries, including a touchdown. Also, all of Allen’s 23 carries went for positive yards.

As for Henry, he had an impressive 22-yard touchdown run off the edge. He finished with 75 yards on 12 carries.

The writing may be on the wall for McNichols.

LB Kain Medrano

Medrano found a vulnerable spot in the linebacker pecking order the moment the Commanders selected Sonny Styles with their first-round pick in the 2026 NFL Draft. That moved him down another notch in the pecking order. The signing of free agent Leo Chenal also impacted Medrano’s standing.

A sixth-round pick last year, Medrano saw limited action in nine games. However, he’s 6-foot-3, 230 pounds, and full of athleticism. There’s a reason he’s still in the mix.

But with Frankie Luvu and Jordan Magee in front of him, backup roles may already be filled. The Commanders may only keep four off-ball linebackers. It doesn’t even help Medrano that Styles didn’t have a good preseason debut, according to commanderswire.com.

“Me and [LB] Leo [Chenal] were a little frustrated,” Styles said with a smile. “One drive, one touchdown, like 15 plays, so, not ideal, but go again next week.”

WR Dyami Brown

It’s beginning to look like the final receiver spot could come down to Brown or Treylon Burks. While it may be a close call, Brown could be the guy looking for a new team.

Brown came back to the Commanders with plenty of confidence, according to commanders.com.

“I kinda understand the game a little bit more than what I have in the past,” Brown said. “I took the steps to learn from other people like Jakobi Myers, BTJ [Brian Thomas Jr.] and even…the quarterback, Trevor [Lawrence]. That kind of took the game to another level and a different viewpoint for me.”

However, he’s a five-year veteran who hasn’t caught more than 30 passes in any NFL season. His career high in yards is 308. And while Burks has largely been an NFL disappointment, most of his problems can be attributed to injuries.

One problem for both players is that their hopes were diminished when the Commanders signed Stefon Diggs. A lot of attention will go to that veteran, according to commanders.com.

“I think Stefon adds an element of experience,” first-year offensive coordinator David Blough said. “Savvy, understanding timing, leverage. He’s played a lot of meaningful football, a lot of yards. I think through having him for three practices, you feel his leadership too. You feel him bringing the guys together, challenging everybody to keep pushing forward. The ball finds him, because he finds space.”

Brown could make the 53-man roster. The Commanders could keep seven receivers instead of six. But it’s also very possible they could turn Brown loose.

Overall, the Commanders don’t have one of the NFL’s better rosters. That’s why they have to be very careful when they make their final cuts. Sending the wrong guy out the door might cause problems from Week 1 through Week 18.

The post 3 surprise Commanders 2026 preseason roster cuts to watch out for before Week 1 appeared first on ClutchPoints.

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Angry Angry 0
Sad Sad 0
Wow Wow 0