Marcus Rashford clarifies Instagram post after being accused of ‘dig’ at Manchester United

May 22, 2026 - 20:30
Marcus Rashford clarifies Instagram post after being accused of ‘dig’ at Manchester United

Marcus Rashford has dismissed any suggestion that he had a pop at Manchester United on Instagram after making the England World Cup squad.

Taking to social media, the forward heaped praise on everyone from Unai Emery to Hansi Flick, but there was no mention of the Red Devils, which some people perceived to be a dig.

Marcus Rashford of FC Barcelona celebrates a goal during the Spanish league, LaLiga EA Sports, football match played between FC Barcelona and RCD Espanyol
Rashford has enjoyed a productive loan with Barcelona
Getty

However, the on-loan Barcelona star has now clarified, via a post on X, that it had nothing to do with his parent club, and that it was about giving praise to people in his career over the last 18 months to get him back into the England team.

The 28-year-old initially said on Instagram: “Special thanks to Unai, Hansi, Thomas, Aston Villa, Barcelona and England for believing in me when things got tough.”

Many United fans immediately criticised Rashford in the comments section, which has led to a response from the man himself.

He said: “To make my IG story clear. It’s not a dig of any sort! I’m a MU supporter, and that remains.

“I was showing gratitude to the clubs and coaches that I have worked with over the past 18 months, they have played a big role in this England call up.”

Rashford’s revival

Since being frozed out of the United squad by former manager Ruben Amorim, Rashford has had two loan spells away from Old Trafford.

The first was in the second half of last season as he joined Aston Villa in the winter transfer window.

The England international helped Emery and his push to get Champions League football – only for them to fall short on the final day with defeat at the Theatre of Dreams.

He also helped them advance into the quarter-finals of the Champions League, with Paris Saint-Germain emerging victorious over two legs.

But due to Rashford’s wages and PSR, Villa elected not to turn his temporary stay into a permanent switch, with Barcelona making a move last summer.

Marcus Rashford of FC Barcelona shots the ball during the LaLiga EA Sports match between RCD Espanyol de Barcelona and FC Barcelona at RCDE Stadium on January 03, 2026 in Barcelona, Spain.
Rashford has helped Barcelona retain their LaLiga title this season
Getty

Barca have an option to buy clause worth £26million in Rashford’s contract.

And talkSPORT understands that Flick is desperate for the United academy graduate to remain at the club beyond the summer.

In 48 matches across all competitions, Rashford has chipped in with 14 goals and as many assists.

His last strike came in Barca’s 2-0 El Clasico win over Real Madrid at the start of May as she smashed a free-kick into the top left corner.

The result saw the Blaugrana win the LaLiga title, with Rashford becoming first Englishman in four decades to become a Spanish top-flight champion.

Despite Flick keen for Rashford to stay, Barca are reluctant to pay the £26m clause in full – leaving United officials deeply frustrated.

Marcus Rashford celebrates goal against Real Madrid
Rashford is a firm fan favourite at the Nou Camp
AFP

The deal is further complicated by the fact that he’s received a pay rise due to United qualifying for the Champions League.

Rashford was asked about staying earlier this month, to which he remained coy on his future.

He remarked: “I don’t know, I’m not a magician but if I was, I would stay at Barcelona, so we will see.”

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Angry Angry 0
Sad Sad 0
Wow Wow 0