Devastated Southampton legend demands ‘sacrifice’ as players consider legal action
Southampton legend Rickie Lambert believes there must be a fall guy after being left devastated by the Spygate scandal.
Saints were removed from the Championship play-off final on Tuesday after admitting to multiple breaches of EFL rules.

They were found to have spied on Boro ahead of their semi-final clash, while also doing so twice more earlier in the season.
That has led to expulsion from the play-offs, as well as a points deduction, denying them a shot at the Premier League and putting them into trouble at the start of the 2026/27 campaign too.
The knock-on effects could end up being huge, with manager Tonda Eckert’s future now up in the air amid fury from the ownership.
And it’s something that has left Lambert, who played for Southampton for five years and is one of their all-time top scorers, feeling for the players and fans impacted by the punishment.
Lambert told talkSPORT Breakfast on Wednesday: “I can’t believe what’s happened, it’s devastating, absolutely devastating.
“I’m devastated for the fans and devastated for the players…the owners, fans and players have not made the mistake, I don’t want the whole club to be tarnished by this.
“This is a mistake by a very small amount of people at the club, so the fact that the players and fans are being punished like this, I can’t believe what’s happened.”
The ex-Liverpool striker continued: “I was shocked [to hear the punishment]. I’m not condoning the actions, but what advantage has that given the players?
“The better players over two games win and that’s what so devastating for the players…the fans have spent money and they deserve the chance to go to Wembley and to go up.
“But for the players, this can be life-changing. It’s hard to take and it’s not the club’s fault.”

‘There has to be a sacrifice’
talkSPORT understands that Southampton owner Dragan Solak is ‘furious’ with manager Eckert for bringing the club’s name into disrepute and costing them a shot at the Premier League.
And Lambert has reacted to that news and the potential that the German could end up losing his job over the controversy.
“If that’s the case, which is probably is, then there has to be a sacrifice,” he admitted. “And the sacrifice needs to be suitable for the club to progress.
“I still think there’s a chance that they might get this overturned, but there has to be a sacrifice.
“Basically, what happens is there’s been a £200m fine, a four-point deduction and the chance of the lads never paying in the Premier League again…that is way too much for a fella stood behind a tree with a camera, it’s too much to take.
“There should be a sacrifice. Whoever took the decision to do that, that’s the sacrifice in my eyes.”

Players to take legal action?
Lambert was clear in expressing his feelings for the players, saying the punishment ‘could be life-changing’ for them.
And the Southampton squad are said to be very angry at the club for the potential impact on their careers, with reports emerging of them considering legal action against the Saints.
talkSPORT’s Andy Townsend believes that that could be the next step for the stars amid the controversial Spygate saga.
Townsend told Breakfast: “I feel desperately sorry for the Southampton players, those that have sweat their watsits off over the last six months. And in particular, have gone on an incredible run, and thought they were getting geared up for a playoff final on the prospect of Premier League football next season.
“So to have that taken away from you. They don’t deserve that.
“I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s some legal action on behalf of the players. I think they’ve every right to do that.
“I don’t know who they go after. Do they go after the club?
“Because the club probably didn’t know exactly what the coach was doing, but they employ the coach.”
What's Your Reaction?
Like
0
Dislike
0
Love
0
Funny
0
Angry
0
Sad
0
Wow
0