Max Verstappen officially makes decision on F1 future after McLaren and Mercedes talks

Aug 20, 2026 - 11:00
Max Verstappen officially makes decision on F1 future after McLaren and Mercedes talks

Max Verstappen has committed to a new long-term contract extension at Red Bull until the end of 2030, finally putting an end to speculation over his future.

Verstappen was due to finish his contract with the Milton Keynes-based team at the end of 2028.

Max verstappen signs a contract with Red Bull
The contract will keep him at the team until he’s 33 years old
Getty

The four-time champion’s previous deal contained performance-based exit clauses which led to rumours about a potential high-profile switch.

The 71-time Grand Prix winner held talks with both McLaren and Mercedes over the last two campaigns, and also hinted about an early retirement.

Red Bull has seen a number of key figures leave in recent years, including Verstappen’s long-time race engineer Gianpiero Lambiase, who will join rivals McLaren as their Chief Racing Officer ‘no later than 2028’.

The announcement arrives in the build-up to the Dutch Grand Prix – Verstappen’s home race at Zandvoort, where he has already triumphed three times.

‘The team is like a second family to me’

Verstappen released a statement on Thursday. He said: “I am really pleased with the contract extension. We have the best people and I’m excited to keep working together with everyone to get back to the top again.

“This remains the ultimate goal that all of us have been working towards and will continue to pursue. I want to thank Red Bull, Laurent and everyone at Oracle Red Bull Racing for the trust they put in me.

“I have always said it: The team is like a second family for me and I feel very at home. I came to the team hoping to be able to win races.

“What we went on to achieve together has been simply lovely and we have shared many incredible moments and won four World Championships.

“To continue this journey with the same team that I have been with my whole career is really special and something I have always wanted to do.

“Getting to work with Laurent now for over a year has also been great, I see a clear vision he has for the team.

Max Verstappen of the Netherlands and Oracle Red Bull Racing and Laurent Mekies, Team Principal of Oracle Red Bull Racing talk in the garage during practice ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi at Yas Marina Circuit on December 05, 2025 in Abu Dhabi, United […]
Verstappen currently sits sixth in the Driver Standings
Getty

“Everyone in Milton Keynes believes in what we are building and I am looking forward to the next chapter, fighting for more victories and competing for championships as we continue to shape the future of this team.

“To make this announcement during the last Grand Prix at Zandvoort is a great moment for me as well. Hopefully we can give the fans a special send-off for the final race.”

Red Bull history

This decision almost certainly means there will be no driver changes at Formula’s current top four teams – Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull – for 2027.

Verstappen will continue working alongside Mekies, who was promoted to the role of Team Principal in July 2025 following a turbulent time for the team under Christian Horner.

Mekies has led Red Bull through a rebuilding phase over the last year after bringing an underdeveloped car at the beginning of the new regulation cycle at the start of 2026.

The 49-year-old also commented on continuing to work with Max, he said: “Very few partnerships in sport achieve what Max and this team have.

Max Verstappen becoming world champion
Verstappen will hope to surpass Sebastian Vettel’s four world championship titles at the team during the next four years
Getty

“Since the very beginning, Max has embodied everything that makes Oracle Red Bull Racing special: uncompromising competitiveness, relentless determination and the courage to challenge convention.

“His impact on our team and on Red Bull’s motorsport story has been transformational, and he has been fundamental to everything we have accomplished together.

“The decision to continue our journey together is rooted in the trust Max and the team have built over many years, as well as Max’s confidence in our people, our culture and our vision for the future. 

“Forged through championship-winning success, intense battles and challenging moments alike, this relationship has only grown stronger – making it one of Formula One’s greatest success stories.

“But we are not done yet. There are more races to win, more milestones to achieve and more history to write. Together, we continue to raise the bar with the same determination that brought us to the top of the sport and an even greater faith in what we can achieve.

“Much will evolve as we move forward, but our ambition remains unchanged – united by one direction, one vision, one team.”

Verstappen was signed to the Red Bull driver programme in 2014 as a teenager before making his debut in Formula 1 with Toro Rosso at just 17 years old, becoming the youngest driver to ever start a grand prix.

He was promoted to Red Bull in place of Daniil Kvyat for the 2016 Spanish Grand Prix and famously won that race, aged 18.

Since then, the Dutchman has amassed 71 Grand Prix victories alongside four World Drivers’ Championships with the team.

His overall win tally ranks third on the all-time F1 list, trailing only Lewis Hamilton and Michael Schumacher.

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Angry Angry 0
Sad Sad 0
Wow Wow 0