Tonda Eckert’s future in tatters as Southampton boss faces FA ban after expulsion from Championship play-off final

May 20, 2026 - 08:00
Tonda Eckert’s future in tatters as Southampton boss faces FA ban after expulsion from Championship play-off final

Southampton manager Tonda Eckert faces the sack and an FA ban in the wake of ‘Spygate’, talkSPORT understands.

Saints were thrown out of the Championship play-off final by an independent commission after admitting breaking EFL rules by spying on multiple opponents from December to this month’s semi-final with Middlesbrough.

Middlesbrough are taking Southampton’s place to face Hull in the play-off final

The full report into the scandal is expected to confirm Eckert admitted responsibility for secretly watching opposition teams in training, something that is common practise in his native Germany.

Sources close to Saints owner Dragan Solak say the Serbian will be ‘furious’ with Eckert for bringing the club’s name into disrepute and costing them a shot at the £200m Wembley showdown for a place in the Premier League.

As well as potentially losing his job, Eckert and sporting director Johannes Spors, who also learned his trade in Germany, are likely to come under investigation from the FA and risk potential suspensions.

There is also a fear among the Southampton hierarchy that sponsors will pull out of deals for not wanting to be associated with a club who have admitted cheating.

Players including captain Taylor Harwood-Bellis are also said to be raging at having their shot at a place in the Premier League and the lucrative salaries and status that come with it snatched away.

Saints have appealed and chief executive Phil Parsons emailed club staff on Tuesday night to say they were fighting the sanctions, which also included a four-point deduction for the start of next season, ‘robustly.’

In the memo, seen by talkSPORT, Parsons said Saints’ legal team ‘remain confident’ their appeal will be successful and that the club were continuing to prepare for Saturday’s showpiece final.

talkSPORT also understands the players are considering legal action amid a loss of earnings.

Spygate: The latest

Southampton were informed they had been replaced in the play-off final by Middlesbrough after being found guilty of the EFL breaches.

Intern Will Salt was pictured conducting an unauthorised of filming Saints’ semi-final opponents in training at their Rockliffe Park ground within 72 hours of their first leg clash.

Southampton manager Tonda Eckert
Eckert is understood to have authorised sending an intern to spy on Middlesbrough’s training session in the lead up to their play-off showdown, as well as on other occasions this season
Getty

EFL regulations state clubs are prohibited from ‘observing, or attempting to observe’ another team’s training session within 72 hours of a scheduled fixture between the two teams.

Southampton have also been found guilty of spying on Ipswich Town and Oxford United earlier in the season and some reports suggest Eckert could be banned for up to 18 months.

The south coast club sealed their place in the final with a 2-1 aggregate win over Boro, however, Kim Hellberg’s men are due to face Hull City at Saturday’s showpiece at Wembley. A kick-off time is yet to be disclosed, however.

EFL statement in full

“An Independent Disciplinary Commission has today expelled Southampton from the Sky Bet Championship Play-Offs after the club admitted to multiple breaches of EFL Regulations related to the unauthorised filming of other clubs’ training.

“In addition, the club has received a four-point deduction that will be applied to the 2026/27 Championship table, alongside a reprimand in respect of all the charges.

“The effect of today’s order is that Middlesbrough are reinstated into the 2026 Play-Offs and will proceed to the Play-Off Final against Hull City. The final remains scheduled for Saturday 23 May, with the kick-off time to be confirmed.

“Southampton was first charged on Friday 8 May, with further charges issued on Sunday 17 May in relation to additional breaches during the 2025/26 season. Those additional charges arose from matters identified after the initial proceedings involving Middlesbrough were initiated.

“Southampton admitted breaches of Regulations requiring clubs to act with the utmost good faith and prohibiting the observation of another club’s training session within 72 hours of a scheduled match.

“The admitted breaches concern fixtures against Oxford United in December 2025, Ipswich Town in April 2026 and Middlesbrough in May 2026.

“Southampton has a right to appeal the Commission’s decision in accordance with EFL Regulations and the parties are working to try and resolve any appeal on Wednesday 20 May. Subject to the outcome, it could result in a further change to Saturday’s fixture.

“The EFL is now in discussion with all three clubs regarding the implications of today’s decision and will make a further announcement in due course. The Commission’s full written reasons will also be published in due course.”

Southampton fight back

The aforementioned memo sent to Southampton FC employees by Parsons read: “The EFL has this evening told us of its decision to remove us from Saturday’s play-off final.

“Clearly, this is an outcome we strongly disagree with and one that we will challenge robustly.

“An appeal hearing has already been scheduled for tomorrow and our legal team remains confident in the strength of our position.
Until that process concludes, our focus remains on continuing preparations for Saturday as planned.”

Shea Charles celebrates winning goal against Middlesbrough
Southampton beat Middlesbrough 2-1 last week in the controversial play-off
Getty
Kim Hellberg, Manager of Middlesbrough, acknowledges the fans following the Sky Bet Championship Play Off Semi Final Second Leg match between Middlesbrough and Southampton
But Boro will get the shot at glory instead
Getty

Middlesbrough statement

Unsurprisingly, the verdict was welcomed by Boro as they said in a statement: “Middlesbrough Football Club welcomes the outcome of today’s Disciplinary Commission hearing.

“We believe this sends out a clear message for the future of our game regarding sporting integrity and conduct.

“As a club, we are now focused on our game against Hull City at Wembley on Saturday.

“Ticket information for our supporters will be available shortly.”

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Angry Angry 0
Sad Sad 0
Wow Wow 0