‘Not worth it’ – Ronnie O’Sullivan reveals what would make him quit playing snooker
Ronnie O’Sullivan has admitted that he would quit snooker if Saudi Arabia and China were to cease involvement in the sport.
O’Sullivan isn’t one to keep his strong opinions to himself and he has been very open in speaking about potential retirement.

But ‘The Rocket’ remains one of the best snooker players around and he is still competing for some huge paychecks.
Earlier this month, he was in Saudi Arabia with a $1million prize available should a player achieve a unique 167 break.
And the 49-year-old’s excitement about the game appears to revolve around those new, creative introductions and big prizes.
Speaking ahead of the UK Championship, O’Sullivan, who now lives in Dubai, has revealed what he likes most about snooker currently.
But it certainly doesn’t involve playing back in the UK, as he prefers events that are hosted in the Middle East and China.
“I like travelling to a certain extent. I’m enjoying having the academy in Saudi Arabia and doing that,” the seven-time world champion said.
“I enjoy the couple of partnerships I have in China, which is important as well…so I think if you were to take Saudi away and possibly the stuff that I do in China, I probably wouldn’t play.”
O’Sullivan added: “I say to everybody, you know, if China and Saudi decided to end our partnerships tomorrow, then I’d definitely end my playing as a professional.
“I’d probably still do a bit of punditry. I’d probably help some players out, who I feel like I could add to their game.
“But as far as playing and putting the time and effort in, it’s got to be worth my while, otherwise it’s not worth it.”

What else has O’Sullivan said?
O’Sullivan also commented on his general feeling about playing snooker as his career comes to its latter stages.
“I mean, if I never potted another ball after this conversation, I’d be fine as well,” the sporting legend admitted.
“It’s not like I’m eager to play. I’m just doing it because it suits my needs at the moment. You know what I mean?”
He continued: “I’m in a situation where it’s working for me because at my age, I’m not so driven to win tournaments.
“I like to do well in tournaments, but it’s not the be-all, end-all.
“So you kind of have to go: ‘Well, is this working for me as a whole, rather than just about winning tournaments?’ And so far it is.”

When is O’Sullivan in action next?
As much as O’Sullivan enjoys playing elsewhere more, he’ll next be in action in York for the UK Championship.
The tournament will be taking place at the Barbican.
‘The Rocket’ is in action on Tuesday, December 2, in his first round clash against Zhou Yuelong.
He is aiming for an incredible ninth title in the UK Championship.
O’Sullivan won his first as a 17-year-old in 1993 before going on to taste success in 1997, 2001 and 2007.
His other titles in this event came in 2014, 2017 and 2018, with his most recent win coming two years ago in 2023.
What's Your Reaction?
Like
0
Dislike
0
Love
0
Funny
0
Angry
0
Sad
0
Wow
0