Marco Penge reveals comeback plan after announcing surprise break from golf

May 19, 2026 - 12:30
Marco Penge reveals comeback plan after announcing surprise break from golf

English golfer Marco Penge has revealed he is targeting a comeback at the US Open next month.

The 28-year-old took to social media on Sunday to announce that he is taking an immediate and indefinite break from professional golf.

Marco Penge at the 2026 PGA Championship
The second major of the year was a struggle for Penge
Getty

Penge finished second behind Rory McIlroy on the DP World Tour‘s Race to Dubai last season, earning his way onto the PGA Tour.

However, after three wins in 2025, this season has been a struggle amid ongoing health issues.

Penge withdrew from the Myrtle Beach Classic earlier this month and underwent an MRI scan, citing a ‘recurring problem with my ear/neck/nervous system since I had a viral infection back in November last year’.

He was suffering from repeated sinus infections and vertigo symptoms, although scans showed no serious cause for concern.

Penge then missed the cut at the PGA Championship, which was won by his compatriot Aaron Rai, shooting 75/77 and finishing +12 over the first two days.

Later that weekend, the Englishman took to social media and said: “This week didn’t go to the way I wanted to but that’s golf. Moving forward, I have decided that I am going to take some time off to get my health back to where it needs to be.

“Thank you for your support as always! I’ll be back soon!”

“Two weeks or two months”

In a more recent update to the DP World Tour, Penge said that while he is not putting a definitive date on his comeback, he would like to compete in the third major of the year.

“I’ll come back as soon as I feel fit and healthy,” he told the DP World Tour.

“That could be in two weeks or two months, I don’t know right now.

Marco Penge during a DP World Tour press conference
Penge went toe-to-toe with McIlroy in the Race to Dubai last season
Getty

“But I’m hoping for the US Open. Sooner the better!”

This year’s US Open begins on June 18 and takes place at Shinnecock Hills in New York.

Penge did make the cut on his Masters debut earlier this year, finishing in a tie for 49th, and the US Open is the one major he is yet to play.

The big-hitting golfer has been no stranger to adversity throughout the early stages of his professional career.

He was one shot away from losing his DP World Tour card in 2024, making a five-foot birdie putt at the last in the final counting event of the year.

Penge then missed the first two months of the following season due to a breach of betting rules, although he still won $1million for coming second in the season-long points race.

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Angry Angry 0
Sad Sad 0
Wow Wow 0