Ange Postecoglou gives definitive answer on Celtic return after disastrous Nottingham Forest spell

Feb 19, 2026 - 17:00
Ange Postecoglou gives definitive answer on Celtic return after disastrous Nottingham Forest spell

Ange Postecoglou loved his time at Celtic, but he has confirmed that he has no plans on making a return.

The Australian won two Scottish Premierships, a Scottish Cup and the Scottish League Cup during a glittering two-year stint at the club.

Ange Postecoglou at Celtic.
Postecoglou stamped his mark at Celtic by winning five trophies
Getty

Postecoglou won 83 of his 113 matches across all competitions before making the move to Tottenham Hotspur in 2023.

After his dismissal at Nottingham Forest earlier this season, he was linked with the Celtic vacancy amid Brendan Rodgers’ resignation.

However, talkSPORT sources close to him downplayed a second stint, and Martin O’Neill is currently in charge until the end of the season.

Celtic will be eyeing a new permanent appointment this summer, so Gary Neville asked about a potential return on The Overlap.

Postecoglou gave a warm recollection of his tenure, but ruled out his chances of going back.

“I loved Celtic, mate, what a football club,” he said.

“If I was younger, I probably would have stayed there longer, I probably would have stayed there three, four years.

“I think I could have made progress with them in Europe but at the time… it had taken me a long time to get to this sort of space, the opportunity to join Tottenham was too good.

“In terms of going back, I don’t go back. I just don’t think that’s, kind of, been my career.

“Whatever the next step is, it’ll be something new, something I can make an impact in, somewhere I can win things. But it doesn’t diminish the affection I have.

Ange Postecoglou at Celtic.
Despite enjoying his spell at Celtic, Postecoglou is not keen on a return
Getty

“It was a great experience for two years. To be within a community that was just so passionate… I mean, it’s crazy how passionate they are about their football club.

“Obviously, I was fortunate we had success, so it’s a positive experience, but I loved every minute of it.”

Postecoglou then reiterated: “I look back on it fondly… but I won’t go back. I don’t think that’s how my career has played out.”

Postecoglou: Joining Forest was my mistake

Weeks after guiding Spurs to Europa League glory, their first trophy in 17 years, Postecoglou was sacked amid a 17th-place league finish.

He returned to the dugout in September when he succeeded Nuno Espirito Santo at Forest on a two-year contract.

But Postecoglou lasted just 39 days in the job and was dismissed only minutes after their 3-0 home defeat to Chelsea.

Ange Postecoglou Head Coach of Nottingham Forest looks dejected during the Premier League match between Nottingham Forest and Chelsea
Postecoglou has also reflected on his forgettable Forest tenure
Getty

The 60-year-old lost six and drew two of his eight matches, and now explained his regret with moving to the City Ground.

He joked: “There’s not much to talk about the Forest thing, because this programme will last longer than my tenure.

“But, that was on me. I think you [Roy Keane] said, ‘Beware of what you wish for,’ that was a bad decision by me to go in there.

“I’ve got to take ownership, there’s no point in me blaming I didn’t get time or anything, I should never have gone in there.

“It was too soon after Tottenham. I was taking over at a time where, obviously, I’m going to do things differently, they were used to doing things a certain way.

“I’ve got to cop that, that was my mistake, it’s no one else’s fault.”

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Angry Angry 0
Sad Sad 0
Wow Wow 0