‘A disgrace to football’ – Vinicius Jr incident labelled ‘disgusting’ as Real Madrid star accuses opponent of racism in Champions League tie
Trent Alexander-Arnold has labelled the ‘disgusting’ racial abuse aimed at Vinicius Jr as a ‘disgrace to football’.
Real Madrid’s Champions League clash with Benfica was suspended after an accusation of racial abuse.

The match was paused during the second half as Vinicius Jr refused to continue following his opening goal.
Vinicius Jr had fired the visitors into the lead five minutes after the interval in their knockout round play-off tie.
However, his goal was followed by unsavoury scenes at the Estadio da Luz in Lisbon.
Ugly night for football
The Brazilian had initially been booked by referee Francois Letexier for antagonising the home supporters as he celebrated by the corner flag.
Vinicius Jr then approached the official to report that he had been subjected to racial abuse, pointing at Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni, before walking off the pitch.
The Brazilian’s decision to leave the field of play follows UEFA’s protocols for when a player is a victim of racial abuse.
With the Real Madrid forward temporarily sat in the dugout, the match was paused for ten minutes.
Speaking on Amazon Prime Video’s coverage, former referee Mark Clattenburg explained: “Words have been said between the players. Vinicius is not happy with what has been said.
“The referee is following the protocol for a racial comment that has been said.”
He concluded: “Once Vinicius has approached the referee the referee now has to follow the protocol and the rules that UEFA have set out when this happens.”



Following the delay, Vinicius Jr returned to the pitch before the match resumed but remained visibly upset by the incident. He was subjected to boos from the home crowd whenever receiving the ball.
Clattenburg added: “As a referee, I have had this situation before when players have reported a racial comment on the field of play.
“All he can do is make the report. Afterwards, then UEFA will look into this. As a referee it is very difficult in this situation.”
UEFA’s Safety and Security Regulations advise players, clubs and officials on how to handle incidents of racism during matches.
Under Rule 6 of Article 45.05a, they say: “Referees should stop, suspend or even abandon a match if racist incidents occur.
“Following UEFA’s three-step guidelines, a match will first be stopped and a public warning given. Second, the match will be suspended for a period of time.

“Third, and after coordination with security officers, the match will be abandoned if racist behaviour has not ceased. In such a case the responsible team forfeits the tie.”
Alexander-Arnold reacts
Trent Alexander-Arnold addressed the incident following the final whistle in Lisbon.
The Real Madrid full-back told Amazon Prime Video: “I can’t comment too much on it as it is an ongoing investigation at this point.
“I think what has happened tonight is a disgrace to football and overshadowed the performance as well after an amazing goal.
“Vini has been subject to this a few times throughout his career. To ruin a night like this for our team is a disgrace. No place for it in football or society. It is disgusting.”
The incident overshadowed a stunning strike from Vinicius Jr to put the visitors in front.
Having received the ball on the left wing, he cut into the penalty area before finding the top corner.
His goal was his 31st in the Champions League for Real Madrid, making him the second-highest scoring Brazilian in the competition.
Only Neymar, with 43 goals, has scored more than Vinicius Jr in the Champions League.
Jose sent off in separate incident
Tempers would boil over again late on as Jose Mourinho was sent to the stands.
The Benfica boss was shown a red card just moments after he had been booked by the referee.

As a result, he will serve a touchline ban for the second leg at the Santiago Bernabeu on Wednesday, February 25.
Due to the earlier delay to the match, 12 minutes of stoppage time were added by the officials.
An object was then thrown onto the pitch during additional time, with Aurelien Tchouameni handing it to Letexier.
The referee then passed the object onto the fourth official on the touchline.
Further objects were later thrown towards Vinicius Jr and Alexander-Arnold as they stood over a Real Madrid corner during the final moments of the match.
Alvaro Arbeloa’s side would hold on to win the match 1-0 to give themselves a lead to defend in the Spanish capital next week.
What's Your Reaction?
Like
0
Dislike
0
Love
0
Funny
0
Angry
0
Sad
0
Wow
0