Ryan Garcia claims Conor Benn fight will fall on same day as Canelo Alvarez return

May 18, 2026 - 12:30
Ryan Garcia claims Conor Benn fight will fall on same day as Canelo Alvarez return

Ryan Garcia claims he will be fighting Conor Benn on September 12 at Las Vegas’ T-Mobile Arena.

The newly-crowned WBC welterweight champion dropped the bombshell during a recent live stream with rapper 6ix9ine.

A graphic of Conor Benn and Ryan Garcia
Benn is Garcia’s WBC mandatory at 147lbs
talkSPORT / Getty

“My next fight is September 12,” said Garcia. “I can’t announce it yet, but there are some people from the UK that [sic] need an a**-whooping.

The guy I might fight next is from the UK,” Garcia added before letting Benn’s name slip after 6ix9ine promised to walk him out.

It’s gonna be in Vegas [at] T-Mobile [Arena]… You hear that, Conor Bum? My guy is gonna walk me out.

Go get a goofy from England to walk you out.”

Garcia-Benn clashing with Canelo

It’s no secret that Garcia and Benn have been locked in negotiations.

‘King Ry’ even declared last month that his WBC mandatory defence has been ‘finalised’.

The only issue is that the date Garcia insists he will be fighting Benn is the same day Canelo Alvarez challenges Christian Mbilli for the WBC super middleweight title.

Canelo and Mbilli are set to square off in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, meaning the timings are unlikely to directly clash with a Garcia-Benn Vegas fight night.

However, it would be ill-advised to go up against Canelo on Mexican Independence Day weekend.

Canelo has made the date his own, and any event scheduled for September 12 risks being swallowed up, particularly one targeted at the US market.

Canelo Alvarez in the ring ahead of his fightGetty
September 12 is the date Canelo is due to box Mbilli in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia[/caption]

Garcia does have a habit of announcing fights before they are over the line.

We saw this in April when he claimed he was boxing Teofimo Lopez on July 25.

Naturally, Garcia’s words should therefore be taken with a grain of salt.

Latest from Benn’s camp on Garcia fight

Benn’s manager, Keith Connolly, confirmed last week that there were still some details to be ironed out.

Providing an update on discussions between Garcia and his client, Connolly, told Boxing News: “We’re in the middle of negotiating [Garcia-Benn], along with some other big fights.

“I could see it happening; I could see it falling apart – but we’re targeting that fight right now.

“I think that’s a great fight for both guys. It’ll be a massive fight if it’s over here [in the UK] and it’ll be a massive fight if it’s in [Las] Vegas.

“It’s a sell-out wherever it goes. I think we’ll know in the next couple of weeks where we’re headed, but that’s definitely the fight that we want.”

The Knockout Weekend Bundle on DAZN

*If you click on a link in this boxout we will earn affiliate revenue

Get ready for an action-packed weekend of world-class boxing with DAZN’s Knockout Weekend Bundle, featuring two unmissable nights of fights exclusively available on DAZN.

  • Purchase the Big Fight Bundle: Head to the DAZN website to buy Ryan Garcia vs. Rolly Romero on 2nd May or Canelo Alvarez vs. William Scull on 3rd May.
  • Enjoy the Bundle Discount: Access to each fight-night will cost you £21.99 individually, but just £34.99 when ordered as a bundle.
  • Choose Your Bonus: With your PPV purchase, enjoy a 7-day free trial of DAZN with no strings attached, or get one month free when you sign up for an annual plan.
  • Watch World-Class Boxing: Gain access to these epic showdowns plus DAZN’s extensive library of fights, featuring the biggest names in boxing.

Don’t miss Ryan Garcia’s comeback, Canelo’s title unification, and all the undercard action – watch it all live, only on DAZN!

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Angry Angry 0
Sad Sad 0
Wow Wow 0