Igor Tudor tipped to take over at rival Premier League club after stopping Tottenham Hotspur crisis

Feb 19, 2026 - 18:30
Igor Tudor tipped to take over at rival Premier League club after stopping Tottenham Hotspur crisis

Igor Tudor has been tipped to be in contention for the Crystal Palace job after his interim stint as Tottenham Hotspur boss.

The Croatian put pen to paper on a five-month deal at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium last weekend with his primary task to keep Spurs in the Premier League.

Former Tottenham manager Thomas Frank looking on
Frank was sacked as Spurs boss last week with Tudor brought in as his temporary replacement
Getty

A run of two wins from 17 leaves Spurs just five points above the relegation zone.

The dire form cost Thomas Frank his job, a decision that was celebrated by supporters.

Tudor’s appointment, meanwhile, came out of the blue as Spurs acted quickly to bring in the former Marseille and Juventus boss.

talkSPORT’s Sonny Snelling, though, has praised the 47-year-old and is optimistic about Tudor’s approach to the job.

Tudor is To Do

“I feel like he’s probably the best manager we could have got for this situation,” Snelling told Abbi Summers and Dean Scoggins on the latest episode of Inside Spurs.

“We could have got Mauricio Pochettino or Roberto De Zerbi, and people this week on talkSPORT said, ‘why couldn’t Poch manage both a bit like what Michael O’Neil’s doing at Blackburn and Northern Ireland’.

“In his first interview with the club, he has more aura and gravitas in his little toe than Thomas Frank had in his whole being.

“I just think Tudor is going to come in, he’s going to lay his principles out. ‘This is what we’re going to do. This is how we stay.’

USA manager Mauricio Pochettino
Pochettino has been linked with a return to Spurs
Getty

“I’ve heard a lot of like insulting language towards Tudor from Tim Sherwood saying this is a lose-lose situation.

“At the end of the day, he’s taken a risk and he wants to profile himself up. If at the end if it comes to the summer and we go ‘Tudor, you’ve done your job, let’s see what happens next’.”

Crystal clear

Snelling then feels that if Tudor does keep Spurs up and does a good job in north London, then a capital rival may come calling.

“He puts himself in the shop window for, say, a (Crystal) Palace, who play a back three and he can translate to that. I don’t see any downside to it.

“And if he does unfortunately take us down, then he’ll just go back to Serie A and carry on there.”

Tudor’s short-term appointment also gives Spurs the chance to properly assess the manager market before naming a long-term successor to Frank.

Crystal Palace boss Oliver Glasner
Current Eagles boss Oliver Glasner will leave Selhurst Park upon the expiration of his contract in the summer
Getty

Un-DeZerbi-ng appointment

One of those mentioned as potential next head coach is Roberto De Zerbi, who left his role as Marseille boss last week.

However, the Italian isn’t one that Spurs should be looking to, according to Scoggins.

“I think he starts fires everywhere,” Scoggins began when discussing the former Brighton head coach.

“Some of those are positive because he puts a fire in some of the players, but he’ll then start fires in boardrooms and and in the press and stuff like that.

“We’ll go back to that Antonio Conte. We’ll go back to that Jose Mourinho sort of feeling around it.”

Former Marseille head coach Roberto Ze Zerbi
The Inside Spurs panel aren’t keen on De Zerbi
AFP

‘He’s magic…’

Scoggins then threw his backing behind a former Spurs boss to ‘unite’ supporters after a dreary season so far.

“There’s only one man who can unite the fan base. And I’m not necessarily the number one Poch fan, I should add,” he continued.

“I saw some of the problems we had under him before. However, there is only one man who can unite the fanbase, and that’s Pochettino.

“I think that the Tudor decision is also a pointer to Pochettino coming back.”

Mauricio Pochettino pointing during his time as Spurs boss
Pochettino was Spurs boss between 2014 and 2019
Getty

Presenter Abbi Summers then asked: “Because of the style?”

To which Scoggins replied: “No, because of the the fact that it’s a short-term appointment. I don’t think a De Zerbi or somebody like that would have taken the deal that Igor Tudor’s taken.

“They would have taken 18-month, 24-month deal. Then you’ve got to sack another man to get Poch back, if Poch comes back in.”

On De Zerbi, Summers added: “I think it would have been crazy to give it to De Zerbi. I think it would have been absolutely crazy to do that at this point.”

Nagelsmann to Spurs?

Snelling, meanwhile, believes that the manager market this summer is going to be ‘tasty’ and threw another name in the hat to take over in north London.

Germany head coach Julian Nagelsmann
Nagelsmann is another manager linked with Spurs
Getty

“If you could maybe try and persuade even a Nagelsmann from Germany,” he added.

“I know that’s really optimistic, but I feel like that’s more realistic than some fans saying Xabi Alonso or Xavi Hernandez.

“I feel like those are pipe dreams.”

Inside Spurs on talkSPORT

talkSPORT does Tottenham like nobody else.

Stay ahead of every tactical shift, manager sacking and transfer rumour by making talkSPORT’s Inside Spurs show your weekly go to for all things Tottenham related.

Subscribe now to ensure you never miss a beat of the action one episode at a time, sponsored by BetMGM.

Download the app or visit BetMGM.co.uk. 18+gambleaware.org

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Angry Angry 0
Sad Sad 0
Wow Wow 0